Moving Guide from Mammoth Self Storage
To ensure your move is a lot less stressful Mammoth Self Store has created this guide which is packed with moving suggestions. Tips include how to organise and prepare weeks ahead of time to ensure a triumphant re-location that limits stress.
Many Hands are make lighter work.
Seek out as much help as you can through friends and family before quoting removalists, this will definitely save you a lot of money.
Make sure you do not let your friends & family know the night before that their assistance to move is required; give them all plenty of notice!
To keep your moving team happy, ensure an abundance of energy nutritious snacks and water are available, and don’t forget knock off beers are often greatly appreciated.
6-8 Weeks Prior To Moving – Moving Quotes,
1. Now’s the time to start dismissing all those unnecessary items you’ve accumulated over the years, leave an area for salvo’s donations, and an area for dump donations and slowly work your way through the house.
2. Once you’ve sorted what you no longer want, or need anymore, it’s time to find what is going into storage, and also which items you are capable of moving yourself. Moving items yourself may be due to trust issues with the movers, but also it cuts down on the removalist quote as well.
3. Now you should be ready to get quotes as you know what you are throwing out, what you are moving yourself and what needs to be moved by a professional, so start getting quotes. We recommend obtaining 3-4 quotes, the more the merrier. Mammoth Self Store can also recommend great removalists from the Sunshine Coast, which will travel all over Australia if you required.
- A lot of moving expenses are tax-deductible, so it is advised to maintain a file with important information and receipts.
- Remember to transfer medical, property, fire, auto, and any other insurance through your insurance agent.
- Place all your medical records, birth certificates, archives in a safe place. Do not forget prescriptions, vaccination records or other important information you need.
4-5 Weeks Before Moving—Gather Supplies, Register Community Changes and Set Up Utilities
1. If you are planning to do part of the packing on your own, and we do advice it, start purchasing moving and packing supplies. A huge tip, don’t go for the cheap box option! Too many problems arise from flimsy boxes and you end up losing that money you thought you were saving with a cheaper box. Mammoth Self Store offers great prices on a range of moving supplies and often run great specials so keep updated on our Website, Facebook or Instagram pages.
2. Contact the post office and fill out a change of address form and provide your new address to your utility companies, internet, and phone, etc.
3. If you have children, ensure they are registered at their new schools or find a trusted day-care provider in your new community. A simple google search will provide details of schools in the local areas.
4. Ensure that you contact your utility companies – electricity, gas, phone and others for disconnection and reconnection to your new home.
5. If you have pets make arrangements for transportation and also if the new home is pet friendly. Find out if there are specific requirements for pet ownership in your new area. Obtain any veterinarian records you currently have.
2-4 Weeks Before Moving—Begin Packing and Disposing Items
1. You may NOT want to leave your valuables for the removalist; consider taking them with you to avoid any damage or loss.
2. Please note some states in Australia do not allow types of plants, food etc. to enter, if you have any you plan to take a simple google search could save you any possible fines.
3. Depending on the length of your move, you may want to get your car serviced prior to your departure, the last thing you need is for it to break down in such a stress prone time.
4. Start packing items you don’t currently need, or will not need until you unpack in the new home.
5. Check every hidden corner of the house for things you may have stored and forgotten, attics, basements etc.
6. Back up important computer files. Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures, if your laptop is running put it to sleep or shut it down.
7. Dispose of inflammable items as the removalist does not need any surprises.
1 Week Before Moving—Ensure Proper Labelling and Double Check Your Plans
1. Labelling boxes with: ‘fragile’, ‘load first’, ‘load last’, and ‘do not load’, is very important to ensure the safety of your items.
2. Confirm with the removalist that they have the correct address to your current and new place.
3. It is important to empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving it.
4. Make plans flexible and make contingency arrangements in case of delays.
5. So you don’t have to go through a hundred boxes to find a toothbrush, pack all your daily essentials in a separate box so you can access straight away.
6. It pays to create a box with numbers on them all so you can easily check at the end if anything did not arrive.
Moving Out—Don’t Leave Anything Behind
1. Strictly check your closets, drawers, shelves, attic, and garage to ensure nothing has been left behind.
2. Be around throughout the loading process this can save breakage and things happening behind your back. Inspect the premises and see to it that nothing is left behind.
3. Turn off all the switches and lock all doors and windows.
4. The removalist must have in writing your name and phone number.
5. While unloading, make sure there is no damage and check the list you created to ensure there is no missing items either. Make sure utilities are connected. Plan out placement of major items in your home.